Removing Dog Smells from Carpeting and Upholstery, Yonkers, NY
Even dog owners who continually clean their homes wake up one day and realize the house, especially where the family pet spends most of his or her time, smells like, well, a dog. The carpeting and anywhere else Fido lies will eventually need a good cleaning.
Removing the Smell
- Vacuum and then vacuum again. And be sure to get underneath furniture. If the chair or couch has removable cushion covers, strip them and wash or dry clean.
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally on carpets and furniture. Although baking soda is compatible with most fabrics, test in an inconspicuous spot first.
- Spread baking soda over entire area using a clothes brush. For best results, use fresh baking soda—not the box that has been in the refrigerator—and let stand overnight. Vacuum all of the residue and return clean linens.
- Quell the urge to use perfumes or other smell-good chemicals. They could be toxic to your dog.
Keeping the Smell Away
- Change your air conditioner’s filter at least once a month. A new filter will trap odors before they return to your carpet and upholstery.
- Purchase a stand-alone HEPA air filtration system. Change the filter as instructed.
- Open a fresh box of baking soda and place it near where the dog often spends time—but out reach.
- Bathe and groom your dog.
- If your dog has skin conditions, it may be adding to the odors in the home. Check with your vet.
- Have your carpet and upholstery professionally cleaned every six to twelve months, or more, if needed.
Many things attribute to a home’s odor; dogs are just one of them. Odors of all kinds get trapped in carpets and upholstery, which need to be professionally cleaned to keep your home smelling up to snuff.
Contact us online 24/7 or call (914) 423-4600 to learn more about our carpet & textiles care, specialty cleaning, stone and tile restoration, and our emergency damage removal services in Westchester County, Yonkers and the NYC Area.
This is one of a series of articles written and published on behalf of Stone and Tile PRO Partners.