Do I need to have my carpet professionally cleaned?
The short answer is yes. Carpet manufacturers all recommend that you have your carpets professionally cleaned on a regular basis. Regular cleaning helps to prolong the look and life of your carpets. Regular cleaning doesn’t mean weekly or even monthly. Depending on the type of carpet you have, wear and tear, foot traffic and if you have children or pets, regular cleaning is recommended every 6-18 months.
Is basic carpet cleaning service good enough?
Again, the short answer is yes. However, there may be circumstances where you need some “extra services” that the carpet cleaner can provide.
What are some of the extra services my carpet cleaner may provide?
- Furniture moving – Some carpet cleaners charge for this service, some do not. Check with your cleaner to see how they handle it. There may also be a limit to how much and what they will move.
- Stain removal – Some stains you can handle yourself, some you can’t. If you happen to have a stubborn stain that you can’t get out yourself, let your carpet cleaner know. Be prepared by knowing what the stain is (coffee, pet accident, etc.), how old it is, what you tried to clean it with and what your carpet type is. This information will help your service provider to bring the right cleaning materials for your situation.
- Step or staircase cleaning – Obviously, steps and staircases aren’t flat, so they do require more work to clean them. Also, staircases are not always lit the same way a room is, so you may not realize how dirty your steps are. If you know you need this service, inform your cleaner from the start. It may be part of a service package they offer, or there may be an extra charge. If you are unsure, talk to your service provider when they are in your home.
- Deodorizing – Deodorizing is meant to eliminate odor. This added step will have your carpet or rug smelling good, to go along with looking good after the cleaning. You might wonder if you really need it since you are having your carpet cleaned anyway. Keep in mind that no process is 100%. This is especially true if you have pets or small children, there is a smoker in the home, or if it has been a while since you last had your carpet cleaned. These circumstances may dictate a deodorizing procedure.
- Sanitizing – If you are having your carpet steam cleaned, this added step may not be necessary since the hot water will kill most germs and bacteria. However, again, keep in mind that no process is 100%. If you have young pets or children prone to accidents, or if someone with allergies or breathing issues is in the home, you should discuss this with your service provider.
- Stain repellent – There are products your service provider can put on your carpet that will help prevent staining. This application is usually recommended for high traffic or high use areas where accidents and spills are more likely to occur.
Regular carpet cleaning is a great way to enhance the beauty of your carpeted areas, plus it helps to minimize the damage regular wear and tear can create. Extra services provided by your carpet cleaning professional can boost the effect of carpet cleaning and help to prolong the life and beauty of your carpets. Just be sure to discuss your budget, circumstances, and concerns with your service provider so they can best assist you with your concerns and expectations.
By Sharon Koehler. This article is one of a series of articles written and published on behalf of SurpHaces PRO Partners.